When you notice pain in your neck, you want to address the underlying causes that contribute to your discomfort. At Thompson Valley Chiropractic, we recognize that the pain may cause concerns about your health and offer natural solutions to address the discomfort. By seeking treatment when you notice the pain, you avoid complications and limit the risk of further injuries to the area.
Types of Neck Pain
The types of neck pain depend on the underlying factors contributing to your pain. Depending on the type of pain you experience, a chiropractor develops a plan of action to address the problem.
Types of neck pain you may experience include:
- Acute pain, or pain that starts suddenly from a pinched nerve or strained muscle
- Chronic pain, or pain that persists for a long period of time and does not fade
- Pain from an injury, which has a clear cause and usually relates to whiplash or similar injuries
- Arthritic pain, which impacts the skeletal system
- Nerve pain, which usually relates to pressure on the nerves or an injury to the nerves in the neck
The pain you experience is a warning sign which your body is designed to produce when there is a problem that no longer should be neglected. Left untreated, certain injuries to the neck may cause severe damage to the bones and soft tissue structures within the neck, making recovery difficult and costly.
Common Causes of Your Pain
The common causes of your pain depend on your activities and situation. By understanding common factors that may cause a strain, sprain or other injury to the neck, you limit the risks and ensure that you recognize when you should seek treatment.
Common causes of neck pain include:
- Whiplash, which occurs when your head snaps forward and backward very suddenly from an impact or similar situation to a car accident
- Poor posture, which may strain your neck and cause a pulled muscle
- Text neck, which occurs when you constantly look down and put excess pressure on your neck
- Auto accidents, which may cause a variety of injuries to the area
- Workplace accidents or other personal injuries, which may cause whiplash and other injuries to the neck
- Inflammation caused by a sickness, such as meningitis, which may cause tension in the neck
- Stress, which causes tension in the neck and shoulders
- Arthritis, which may cause swelling and inflammation
- Osteoporosis, which damages and injures the bones in your neck
- Degeneration in the discs in your spine and neck
- Spinal stenosis, which may cause pressure on the nerves in your spine and neck
A variety of factors and injuries may contribute to your neck pain. Depending on the underlying factors and the situation, a chiropractic professional develops a strategy to reduce your pain and start working on long-term recovery and correction.
How a Chiropractor in Loveland, CO Helps with Neck Pain
A chiropractor in Loveland, CO helps with neck pain by identifying the underlying causes and then developing a treatment plan. In all cases, we use spinal adjustments and neck adjustments to reduce pressure on your nerves. However, the technique will differ from patient to patient as needed. Because all your nerves originate from the spine connecting to all tissues, cells and organs, the treatment also reduces tension in the neck and shoulders as well as allows the body to heal and function more normal and to be in a state of less stress.
We may work on improving your posture to reduce neck pain. A common cause of neck pain is poor posture or looking down at a phone for several hours. By improving your posture, we reduce the pain from your normal activities. We also use soft tissue therapy to reduce pressure on your nerves and spine.
Addressing neck pain starts with identifying the underlying causes of your discomfort. At our clinic, we work with your goals and address the pain through natural treatments. To learn more about our treatments or for an appointment with a chiropractor, call (970) 203-0597 today.